How I Try to Kill My Ideas - And How I Outwit My Lazy Brain

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I say it again … collaborate!

First it's just me an my idea. But it only materializes if it is clear what it is for, when it is implemented and there are a few who like it … But I (my brain) finds (weak) excuses before they ere executed.

Killing my ideas softly
  • I think it's not mature or detailed enough
  • I read too much about similar ideas
  • It will be too hard to get it to execution
  • I have other hard work to do
  • I will be distracted
  • I am afraid of my solitary responsibility
 A classical dilemma: first it is mine, but when I disclose it, it will become other's too. 

How to fix 

Disclosing it is the way to fix the problem of killing the idea before execution. It's so simple: I recognize that it is all about the idea and not me. Early collaboration helps to complete it, embrace other ideas, implement it, share work, transform distraction into interaction and build joint responsibility and create awareness.

Actual optionality

And yes, it is about optimizing risk (although, if the idea is new it is most probably not quantifiable) - do what makes work exciting, but not without thinking about the purpose, adequateness and possible returns.  

And I try to build-in real options, options relating to the project size, life and timing of operations (apply evolutionary prototyping, early experimentation, use temporary technology resources, …). 
They are the underlying principle of agile practices, help to create value through flexibility and maximize the value of an innovative project.

What kind of ideas?

Project for product cost - we launch a project, like xVA, and invite a handful of featured clients to join it with the benefit of early adoption, customization, skills leverage and share, … But they do not pay a portion of the development cost, but a fee limited by the future license price. For the participants it is a real option.
BTW, the UnRisk FACTORY has been "ideated" that way.

UnRisk Academy - it has been established to extend product use training with courses giving full explanation on quantitative theories, mathematical approaches and critical implementation. But before we have launched it we have conducted free workshops with featured clients that did exactly this. So, finding the right curriculum was easy. The Academy is now an independent organization, not bound to the UnRisk product business.

11 Years of UnRisk summit - we usually do not celebrate (anniversaries), but in Q4 2012 we felt things have tied together so amazingly that we wanted to bring people together talking about it.  And
we asked clients dto disclose their most innovative applications and present them to those who care.
It became a junction changing the way we position our products and technologies as enablers of advanced quant systems.
…..

Innovation is not so much driven by competition but cooperation.